Building Applications

Before applying for a building permit with the City of Fort Lupton

  • You must register as a contractor ("Register as Contractor") or homeowner ("Register as Public") first. Tutorial videos detailing the registration process can be found here. Once you have been validated by the City of Fort Lupton. You will then be given more access to your account with Cascade. (Note: Cascade isn't supported by Google Chrome and Internet Explorer) 
  • Do not purchase any materials before obtaining a permit.

Paper Applications

While it is encouraged to apply for your building permits on Cascade, we understand that there may be instances where you need to submit a hard copy instead. Those applications are available below or at City Hall: Please note that your permit will still need to be processed through Cascade so a valid email address is required.

For more information on the Building Permit Application process with the City, visit the page at ProCode, Inc. Fort Lupton.

Expiration of Permits

  • A notice will be sent out 30 days before the expiration date of the permit
  • If you need to request an extension, please complete the form and submit it before the expiration date. One extension per permit is allowed.

Amending/Revisions of permits

  • If you need to revise or amend your permit, please fill out the application. Include all changes including valuation adjustments and submit them to the Building Department for review.

Payment Options 

Online payments are now available through the Cascade portal. Please note that there is now a 3.95% processing fee for all credit card payments either online, in person, or on the phone. You also have the option of paying with cash, check, or money order.

Additional Information- Q & A's

Q. What other departments use Cascade?

  • Public Works
  • Code Enforcement.
  • Fire Department reviews are being conducted in Cascade, except for the Fire Suppression permit. This permit will be submitted to the Fire Department separately.

Q. What would delay the release of my permit?

  • Unlicensed/Expired contractor license(s)
  • Missing or additional required document(s)
  • Nonpayment.

Q. Why am I not able to choose the permit type, when creating a permit?

  • If your license hasn't been fully validated, contact the Building Department to adjust this feature.

Q. Why can't I see my business name when creating a permit?

  • This means you are not licensed by the City of Fort Lupton

Q. What licenses require state certification?

  • Electrical
  • Plumbing

Q. Are permits transferable?

  • No

Q. How long do permits last?

  • Permits will start with 180 days. As you call in inspections, this will extend your end date.

Q. Do I need a permit for a fence?

If you are replacing less than 50% of an existing fence, you will not need a permit. 

If you are replacing more than 50% or installing a new fence, you will need a permit. 

Q. Do I need a shed permit?

If the shed is 120 sq. ft. or less you will not need a permit. 

Q. Do I need a permit for a concrete patio?

Yes, you will need to obtain a permit to install a concrete patio.

Q. What happens if my permit expires?

  • If you allow your permit to expire, you may be required to reapply subjected to violation and/or additional fees
  • The permit will be voided if work has not commenced within the first 180 days from the date of issuance. Please submit a letter to the Building Department so that we may void your permit. (No refunds will be issued)

Q: Who needs to be listed as the certificate holder on the insurance?

  • Fort Lupton 130 S McKinley Ave Fort Lupton CO 80621

Q. I am licensed in other municipalities, will you accept that license?

  • No, Fort Lupton will not accept licensing from other municipalities.

Q. How do I schedule an inspection?

Items that Require Building Permits

This list is not intended to be all-inclusive. Contact the Building Department before the start of your project to confirm if building permits are required.

If applicable, the Homeowners Association (HOA), may
have additional requirements, restrictions, and guidelines to follow for construction.

  • Addition
  • Air Conditioner
  • Basement Finish 
  • Concrete flatwork inside property lines
  • Cover existing porches/decks/patios of any heights
  • Deck/Patio/Balcony/Pergola
  • Demolition (if on footings). An asbestos Certificate from the state may be needed.
  • Detached/Attached Garage and/or Carport (fabric canopies not permitted) 
  • Fences
  • Fireplaces & Wood Pellet Stoves
  • Furnace
  • Interior remodels/tenant finish 
  • Minor electrical repairs
  • Outside gas fireplaces
  • Porch railing (depends on the height of the existing porch)
  • Roofing 
  • Sheds (if less than 150 sq./ft. it is considered a shed)
  • Siding/Stucco
  • Signs (both temporary and permanent require permits; some signs are exempted - see the Code or contact the Building Department for information)
  • Steps/ramps (concrete or other)
  • Water heater
  • Windows (only if the size and/or shape is changing)

Items that do not Require Building Permits:

  • Demolition (if structure not on footing; an Asbestos Certificate from the State may be needed)
  • Fence repair (if you are repairing/replacing less than 50% of an existing fence)
  • Landscaping (watch for sight triangle)
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessories for detached one- and two-family-dwellings 
  • Window awnings in Group R-3 and U occupancies are supported by an exterior wall that does not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and does not require additional support. 
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that is less than 24 inches (610 mm)
    deep, are not greater than 5,000 gallons (18 925 L), and are installed entirely above ground
  • Retaining walls if less than 4' tall (call for locates and contact Public Works before digging)
  • Sprinkler repairs
  • Roofing- (repairing or replacing less than 1 square (100sq. ft) of shingles)
  • One-Story detached accessory structures are used as a tool, storage, playhouse, and similar uses provided the floor plan is not greater than 120 Square feet.