Babies through Preschool
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Every time your child interacts with a book, they are building a foundation to long-term success. The more books you share with them, the greater the likelihood that they will be ready for kindergarten, will be more successful in school, and, when they reach adulthood, will find a job that fulfills them.
We here at the Fort Lupton Public & School Library are here to inspire you to read with your child! Through the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program, we help develop excitement and enthusiasm about reading for children from birth to the start of kindergarten. Through lots of praise, an interactive reading log, and some really great early literacy prizes, we inspire kids and their grown ups to open books and discover new worlds.
Helpful hints about 1000 Books Before Kindergarten:
- Your child can look at the book themselves or have it read to them. You can even stamp a number on the reading log every time your baby holds a book!
- You can read the same book over and over.
- Books read to your child in library storytimes, at daycare, and in preschool can be added to their reading log.
How to sign up:
- Come into the Fort Lupton Public & School Library and ask a staff member about 1000 Books Before Kindergarten.
- Complete the registration form. (Your privacy is paramount to us, so this is for our records only.)
- Receive a reading log, a stamp, and a FREE book! Every time your child interacts with a book, help them stamp a number on the log.
- When your child fills up the log (100 books), bring it in to the library to receive another FREE book and an early literacy prize. We’ll also give you a new log.
- When your child fills up 10 logs (1000 books!), there will be lots of cheering and celebration at the library. He or she will also receive a certificate and a very special gift!
If you have any questions about 1000 Books Before Kindergarten or the many ways that reading will help set your child up for success, please get in touch with Kate Davis, our Youth & Family Services Librarian.